Monday, July 28, 2014

48 Hours Of Family

As I lay on my big sister's lap on the way to the airport tonight, I remembered how I grew up doing exactly that, every day to and from school in our big, orange school bus.

We really all have grown up, haven't we?

Even so though, I know that some things will always be the same. :)

...

It's been a pretty epic past 48 hours as we decided to fly home for the weekend to surprise my dad (and mum) for his 60th birthday. The quote that stayed with us long after it settled the decision was made by Bea Che - "In the years to come, I'll forgot about how much I spent on those air tickets, but I'll never forget how we were there for Daddy's 60th. "

She was right, I will never forget this weekend. :) 

I'll remember how long we thought out our master plan of surprising the parents only to have my mum see us running out the cab outside our house and revealing everything to our dad in that moment. I'll remember papa's "aiyoooo" face as he stood at the bottom of the stairs going "I didn't even clean your rooms for you!" I'll remember our "mamarazzi" being so keen on taking pictures of us to put onto her facebook and how we managed to feed everyone breakfast Sunday morning.

I'll remember all the little things, but mostly, I'll always remember that I am so, so abundantly blessed in this world to call them family.

...

Like all relationships in the world, we have our fair share of ups and downs, loving and bickering, encouraging and grumbling. But hey, that's family right? We may not be perfect, but we'll always be there for one another. This weekend, I was reminded that there is just too much goodness right here, and that family will always, always have a big, cosy, special place in my heart.

By staring right smack at the goodness that God has poured out upon my life, I am humbly reminded that I have so much to be thankful for, and reason enough to have joy, live joy and carry joy into the lives of others every day.

I will choose to live counting my blessings because I know that I can never put a finite number on them, and I will choose to live gratefully because I see how incredibly and unfairly favoured I am in this life.


So, happy 60th Papa! :) Thank you for being such a hero to me all these years, for putting me through med school, rubbing my bruises, fixing my car and broken things, buying me ice cream, eating my cookies and letting me hold your hand wherever we are. I thank God to have been able to call you my papa for 20 years now. I love you long time! :)

So incredibly blessed,
Dice

No comments:

Post a Comment