Sunday, November 8, 2015

Wholeness

"I actually attack the concept of happiness. The idea that - I don't mind people being happy - but the idea that everything we do is part of the pursuit of happiness seems to me a really dangerous idea and has led to a contemporary disease in our Western society, which is fear of sadness. 

...

Wholeness is what we ought to be striving for and part of that is sadness, disappointment, frustration, failure; all of those things which make us who we are.

I would like just for a year to have a moratorium on the word "happiness" and to replace it with the word "wholeness". Ask yourself "Is this contributing to my wholeness?" and if you're having a bad day, it is."

- Hugh Mackay

...

It's been a wholesome year for me. 

By no means was it only filled with the kind of bad days mentioned above, but it has definitely been a difficult journey nonetheless. Still, I must admit that I did have a large portion of sunshiny days as well.

This year has encompassed decent amounts of joy, sadness, hope, tears, laughter, family, heartache, precious moments, tiredness, love, promises come true, sickness, adventure and new challenges.

For this much, to have grown in the midst of all that, I am very grateful indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment