Thursday, November 24, 2016

A Little Kindness Goes A Long Way

I had been planning my trip to Canberra for a while now, and had decided that after work finished at 5pm, I would quickly go home, finish packing, shower, and then drive to the train station to catch a 630pm train that would reach Southern Cross at 8pm, leaving me plenty of time before my 10pm bus.

A fellow senior doctor at work (who I knew very briefly) overheard my plans, and in her Malaysian accent goes, "Are you crazy?? I'll drive you la! I'm heading that way anyways."

"Are you sure?"
"YES I'm sure."
"Well, thank you then! :D "

And then after I've gotten ready to leave after work she asks me what my plans were between now and my bus. And I said... "Eat, sit, read..?"

"That's it. You're coming and having dinner with me and my boyfriend."

Long story short, that night I had an incredibly nice spontaneous home-cooked meal with one of the most hospitable couples I have ever met. Despite the age difference and seniority in their careers too, they both welcomed me so generously, talked with me about life, shared their stories and listened to mine, and fed me delicious sausage curry as well.

And when it came time for me to start heading to Southern Cross, Michelle decides to start walking with me to the train station, taps on her myki and insisted then that the both of them would follow me to the bus stop at Southern Cross.

"Guys! I'll be fine!! I promise I'll be okay!"
"No. We have to answer to your mother to make sure you reach safely."
"You really don't have to!"

"Aww doesn't this feel like we're sending our child off to college?" 

....

A little kindness really does go a long, long way. 

The both of them really did not have to spend their precious Thursday evening with me but they decided to, and went far, far out of their way for my sake. I feel incredibly blessed, and moved to continue this journey of kindness, to pass it on and pay it forwards.

"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness - kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile."
- Mother Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment