Monday, March 20, 2017

All I Really Needed

Today wasn't a good day. 

I woke up feeling unwell and had errands to run. I had some stuff on my mind. I'm more emotional than usual. The embassy wouldn't let me collect my police check even though the half hour I spent on the phone with them a few days prior said to just show up. They told me the money order I got was unnecessary - thus making the $8.95 I paid to get it completely wasted. My parking ran out of time. I had to drive in the outer city area which was hugely confusing and I missed my turn about five times in a row because the instructions were not making sense to me, and I'm gonna have to do it all again in a few days time. I was late to my sister's place for babysitting. My niece wasn't very happy to see me either.

Today wasn't a good day. 

With every step that progressed today, I got more and more frustrated and I didn't know how to deal with it at all.

Finally, I lay on the bed next to Bailey as she fought the urge to fall asleep, yelling and crying with tears streaming down her poor little face. I decided to sing.

First it was a lullaby, which managed to stop the crying.

And then somehow, I found myself singing an old hymn - Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus.

Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full on His wonderful face
And the things of the earth
Will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace

...

Verse after verse, I sang it over and over again, to her and to me.

And when I tried to change it to Ku Mau Cinta Yesus, she gave a whimper and started to cry again, but stopped as soon as I started again on Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus.

Tears welled in my eyes as I remembered Pastor Russell's message in church yesterday about turning to look at Jesus when we're struggling, and that the more we see Him, the more we become like Him. Be it fear, anger, insufficiency, worry, stress, sickness.. whatever it is, you just have to readjust your gaze, and focus on Him once more.

Tears continued to well as I remembered how Megan sang this over me a few years back when I was going through something else, and how powerfully it spoke to me then too.

I'm writing this now as baby girl is sound asleep in bed, feeling absolutely amazed by the peace upon us both right now after that simple reminder.

Turns out, all we really needed, was to turn our eyes upon Jesus, and let Him be the one to calm the storms within us.

Thank You Papa. :')

No comments:

Post a Comment