Friday, April 7, 2017

The World Spins Madly On

...

Someone passed away tonight.

I sat on my chair facing cubicle 6 where the curtain was slightly opened, and I could see her lying there, pale and lifeless. The lights were dimmed, and her husband was crouched by the side of the bed, sobbing.

She was even younger than my parents.

I thought of her kind, weary smile today when I told her that she did really well with us having to transport her across the hospital. I patted her arm, and I held on to the tubes which were helping her breathe.

I thought of the tears in her eyes today as she grew more and more exhausted.

I thought of how my eyes weren't the only red ones amongst our staff tonight.

And in that moment, I thought of how nothing else had changed outside that cubicle.
Nurses were running around caring for their other patients, computers kept beeping, the lights were bright and other people were still chatting away happily.

The world continued to spin madly on.

But one thing's for sure, for everyone who loved her and was left behind to live without her, nothing would ever be the same again.

No comments:

Post a Comment