Sunday, June 18, 2017

As Simple As Kindness

She was a "frequent flyer" in our ED, known to often present intoxicated after an alcohol binge.

The term "frequent flyer" is often responded to with a flurry of groans from ED doctors, what more when infamously coupled with "substance abuse". In the midst of busy days and sick patients, these patients are often labelled and stigmatised from the very moment they are triaged.  

I'd like to write that I was a doctor who was above that sort of petty judgment, and that I was one who always saw the best in people right away.. but if I were to be honest, I too often struggle to see beyond those triage descriptions. 

But that evening, as she lay on a bed drowsy from what she had been drinking and smelling so strongly of alcohol, I watched my boss respond to the situation differently. 

I watched my boss respond with kindness.

I stood by the door quietly and watched as my boss got down to her knees to be face to face with this woman. 

She spoke to her gently, reassuring her that she would be safe in hospital that night and that we would let her concerned partner know she was here. 

See, there's politeness, and then there's genuine kindness.

As I watched this scene before me in the midst of all the activity going on in this emergency department, I could tell that this was a genuine encounter, and that my boss looked at her and saw a person instead of just a label. 

Completely humbled, I stood amazed. Here I was, just starting out in my career yet already disenchanted by patients who come in with substance abuse, and here she was, years and years of experience yet still carrying a soft heart for these people who were broken and hurting. 

This woman will almost certainly never remember that encounter, and more than likely represent again one day for the same thing. 

But I know.. that kindness is never wasted. 

I believe in my heart that kindness is extremely powerful, and that God uses it to inflict change and influence the atmosphere. I believe that it reflects the love that God has for His people, and that we are being "just like our Father" when we demonstrate genuine kindness.

There's just something about kindness.. it's vulnerable, selfless, incredibly brave, surprising, and even rebellious as it rejects responding to an unfavourable circumstance with an earthly, natural, every-man-for-himself-in-a-dog-eat-dog-world perspective. 

So teach me Papa I pray, show me how You do it. Teach my heart to love others as You do and to see beyond a label on a screen and the sum of their choices in life. Change my perspective of others and grant me the courage to be bold and rebellious as I do things your way, and not mine. Remind me of the soul before me that I am privileged to encounter, and am empowered to bless. 

...

"Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, " Lord when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You a drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You? And the King will answer and say to them, "Assuredly I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.""
- Matthew 25:37-40

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by doing so, some have unwittingly entertained angels."
- Hebrews 13:2

No comments:

Post a Comment