Saturday, February 10, 2018

Perspective

What do you do when you realise your time is running out? 

...

In the past week, I've started a Cardiology term. We had a patient who had a major heart attack. Fortunately, he was rushed into the cath lab in time for a life-saving procedure to re-open his blocked heart vessels.

As my boss put it the next day - he was very lucky to be alive.

As a doctor, I see plenty of life and death situations each day. I see cancers, strokes, heart attacks, kidney failure, dementia.. the list goes on and on.
And as I age, I see it in the people around me - relatives, friends and their parents too.

Life truly is so fragile.

I am forced to question - have I become guilty of getting so caught up in routine and my own agenda that I have forgotten we aren't promised tomorrow?

Perhaps if I kept this perspective, I would live a bit more freely, perhaps I would forgive a bit more quickly, dream a bit more courageously, give even more generously, be more thankful for the abundance that I have, hold on to what truly matters, share of the joy and love Christ has given me more often and squeeze every last drop of goodness that today has to offer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment