Saturday, January 5, 2019

Finding Peace

Work can’t be your only thing. You’ll go mad within the week! I must admit, this really took its toll on me at one point too.
Do you feel like you have an outlet outside from work?”

The overwhelming kindness from my older colleague was completely unexpected; little did I know that my venture into his office to talk about a patient would end up in a short deep-and-meaningful talk.

There are days when it gets too much - unfair comments being made by other inpatient teams, manipulative aggressive patients, those I could not save, those I want to save but will not save themselves, the unending pace, the care that goes unnoticed and the emotional toll it takes on us all. There are days when I leave work and all I feel is defeat.

Ray’s been encouraging me to get more exercise to clear my mind.
Two thousand steps up a mountain later and some good quality time with Papa, I must say, I feel so much better, and ready to try again.

I think of the middle aged man whom I crossed paths with three times today, and on the third time as I was on my second lap up 1000 steps, he gave me a big grin with bright eyes and said, “Good job!”

I’m slowly learning to find my feet again in the midst of it all, to understand what it meant to be a disciple on the same boat as Jesus when the storm rages on. I’m thankful that His peace is attainable at any time, and that not for a moment was I forsaken. I’m thankful for the kindness of strangers, or rather friends I have just yet to make.

Because when I sit and still my heart, I know, that I have been blessed beyond measure and have much to be grateful for.

...

I look to the mountains, from where my help comes from, my help comes from the Lord.”
- Psalm 121:1-2

“Courage is not that it didn’t make you cry.
Courage is going back again after it did, because you know that what you do is important.”

No comments:

Post a Comment