Tuesday, April 9, 2013

So Here's An Update

I'm learning a lot as days go pass. Like the actual medical physio- patho- biochem- etc. stuff, but a lot about patients and people too. One thing I've observed for a while now, is that most patients will try to "de-patient-ise" themselves so that they feel less like simply the objects of our trade. Many bring in their own clothes to feel more at home. Like.. Tony*, who told me that he preferred to sit in his chair all day than the bed because it made him feel more like a human being. Rose* today managed to swerve her way out of my medical history-taking practice into talking about life, and our backgrounds (which I was more than happy to because it's been a while since I had an actual person to person conversation instead of a future doctor to patient conversation with a stranger). It was a good talk. :) And ol' Jim*, whose smile dimmed just a hint when I asked him if I could take a medical history after our short casual chat. Now when I see him though, I stick away from the medical student role and keep to a friendly staff role, and it always cheers him up. :) What a joy to be able to be that person for him!

Patients here are often extremely sweet, kind and encouraging people and I love so much working with them. Many of the older patients will call me love, or sweetie, and I have on several occasions received cheeky yet encouraging winks from them too. Today, one of them even told me that she believed I would become a good doctor, and said it with such kindness and sincerity too. I am so blessed.

I had a good day today. My registrar (who for some reason reminds me of a cloud, and no, he does not look fluffy like one) taught us about HIV spontaneously, and the intern in our group gave me a high 5 for successfully collecting blood from a patient in one go.

My life has become so much about what goes on in the hospital. I still enjoy that, and dread the day that I won't anymore. Even so, I can't imagine myself doing anything else but medicine anymore. :)

And.. I got another snapshot last Saturday. It was of a little girl and her younger brother in a small mechanical cartoon ride, with her father holding on to a stand carrying all the fluids getting into her by means of various tubes in her arms.

...

On another note, Planetshakers Conference 2013 was AMAZING. Completely out of this world, especially the third night where the presence of God just erupted in that place. Oh, to be in His presence  and know it is Him, there is NOTHING that even comes close to that feeling. As I worshipped Jesus with the crowd and yet was lost in my personal encounter with Him, I felt Him speak to me about my future. He gave me a glimpse into it as well, and showed me how my dreams would come true, and how He would continue to exceed my expectations every year. He gave me this peace to keep living as I do now, to be myself, carry joy for myself and for others too, and inspire a generation. Some days I really do doubt my purpose and my future, I wonder if I will end up just a deadbeat who neglected her family to advance in her career. And yet.. all that worry just fades away in His presence, all the stress gone as soon as He reminds me with a still voice resounding.. "I got your back".

I am safe in His arms, from every possible threat of the world. 

Much love,
Dice

1 comment:

  1. Haven't commented in a while! Glad that you're enjoying hospital life that much Dice :) You're such a great people person! And people in the more regional areas do wink as greetings right? I got quite a few winks from complete strangers in woolies last time somewhere near Grampians :O

    ReplyDelete