Saturday, April 27, 2013

Still Holding On Tight

"The whole idea of valuing the patient is crucial to the training," Brown told me. "Without that change of heart, the temptations are just too great, for power, for prestige, for money. It's everything they've seen modeled. They're well trained now, and they can go push people around, so it energizes me when I see that, with nobody looking, they do the right thing."

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/12/gods-surgeons-in-africa/266635/#slide5


This article was rather lengthy, and I have to admit, I skimmed over some parts too.. but the kind of passion that these people had.. wow. I am blown away by their dedication to love the poor in spirit and help the hopeless. 


When I read an article like that, or hear about missionary doctors elsewhere, something moves in my spirit. It's hard to describe and perhaps harder still for other people to understand, because it is something innately put into my spirit by my Creator. I have met but a handful of people who really understood it because they have already known that feeling within themselves. It is not merely a desire to be a do-gooder, it is simply.. a gentle fire that breathes within and consumes


Some people in my life have written off my dreams as childish ambitions, and told me to just see.. that one day I too would settle for a comfortable life and leave those childish things behind. Not that there is anything wrong with that at all, except that for me, I know my calling.


So, yea.. perhaps. Maybe one day I might just end up becoming someone who will disappoint and fail the teenage me who carried the weight of her dreams upon her heart. 


But, nobody but God can have such a say over my future right now and declare where I will end up, not even me. And therefore, believing that this is my call in life, that this has been His purpose for me all along, I will continue to hope. I will continue to believe in the excitement of overcoming the fear of a dirty village toilet, of having rats around, of the unfamiliar. I will move forward even if I am fearful and trust that my God provides. I will continue to hold on to Him, and be willing to go if He says go. 



And at the end of the day, I may still be perceived as naive, even by myself. And so I hang on to this verse:

"Mark this: Unless you accept God’s kingdom in the simplicity of a child, you’ll never get in.” Then, gathering the children up in his arms, he laid his hands of blessing on them."

- Mark 10:15 MSG


Not today, not tomorrow, probably not even in four more years or so. 
But.. one day.

I know this because:

"For as the rain comes down and the snow from heaven,
And do not return there,
But water the earth,
And make it bring forth and bud,
That it may give seed to the sower and bread to the eater,
So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth;
It shall not return to Me void,
But it shall accomplish what I please,
And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it."

- Isaiah 55:10-11 NJKV

So until then, I'll be here. Blooming where I'm planted, yet still holding on tight. :)

With much love,

Dice

No comments:

Post a Comment