Wednesday, September 4, 2013

To New Experiences

I witnessed my first Caesarean section today in the emergency theatre. Obstetrics/gynaecology is a fourth year rotation, but I happened to be in theatre for the previous surgery and would be for the one after that as well, so I decided to just ask if I could stay. Lucky for me, the surgeon was extremely nice and friendly about it.

It was amazing!! Incredible to think that the last time I was in this setting, it was nearly 20 years ago, when I was the baby coming out of my mumma. My heart was starting to race as I witnessed everything from the edge of the bed, I could hardly believe that in seconds I would see a live baby come out of the patient's uterus. As the baby came out, blue and still, I was so afraid that something was wrong. Thank God though, shortly after the cord was cut, the baby began to cry.

It was so beautiful that even my emotions were starting to play up. How cool is God's design, and just to witness that miracle of life.. highlight of my year! Totally, no competition! Other med students may feel more.. professionally about all this, but I just loved it so much and stood there staring at the newborn for ages, being absolutely astounded by her beauty and life, the weight of her parents' dreams for her in that place.

Ah, words can barely describe how awesome it all was.

Baby Girl Sophia*, may you find so much joy, love and goodness in this life. And know this, your parents love you very much. :)

...

I couldn't help but think, what a privilege it is to be there, to be in this career line and witness these things. I live an incredibly blessed life. I am so thankful to have these experiences, and to realize in that moment my purest intentions for wanting to do medicine all along, as well as knowing that that has  been God's heart for me all along. Probably not obstetrics specifically, but we'll see. ;)

EVEN if I never get to fall in love, or live a luxurious life, or anything else I may desire in the natural, even if I have to leave behind so much of this life I have grown to love in pursuit of my dreams, I believe that I can and will be satisfied.

To rest on the shoulder of my Heavenly Father, to grow and by that watch my dreams become more detailed and fulfilled bit by bit, to fight the illnesses that imprison patients by physical methods, mental processes and spiritual belief, to change the world one person at a time and to bring joy and peace into the lives of others by the presence of God upon me.. what more could I ask for in this one life that I have to live?

I know I say this a lot, but I constantly feel the need to repeat it, more and more every time I proclaim it. I live a very blessed life, and I know it. :) How much more grateful I am to know that this is all still just the beginning too, that He isn't done dreaming for me yet.

Thank You for giving me all I have ever needed.. and so much more Papa. 

Blessed beyond expectations,
Candice

No comments:

Post a Comment