Friday, August 30, 2013

One Of Those Days

"Though the fig tree may not blossom, 
Nor fruit be on the vines;
Though the labor of the olive may fail,
And the fields yield no food;
Though the flock be cut off from the fold,
And there be no herd in the stalls -
Yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will joy in the God of my salvation."
- Habakkuk 3:17

I did my devotion on that yesterday, and just felt extremely moved by that verse. It is possibly one of my favourites.

I am often told that I am a very happy, cheerful person, and this verse reminds me of why I should always be that way. True joy is not dependent on circumstances, but rather just being in that loving, fulfilling relationship with God. I had much to journal about that verse, accepting the challenge to always find joy in every season and every circumstance.

I did not expect to be tested so quickly.

About an hour or so later, I dropped my phone for the thousand and one -th time and assumed it will be like the other times I accidentally dropped it.. but no. The screen went weird then coloured marks began to very slowly spread across it.

At urban life, so much of what I practiced on the keyboards was unable to be reproduced in the moment of worship itself too.

This morning, I woke up at 5am to reach Franga by 7am. Slightly lacking in sleep, I decided to press on and go ahead since I promised the fifth year I would turn up for plastics today. At this time, I discovered my phone had gotten so bad overnight that I could barely see my screen anymore, and the keypad was not visible at all for sending messages (this later led to some very hilarious text messages I sent by muscle memory of where each letter is).

Five stations away from Frankston, a truck decided to run the boom gates and got absolutely destroyed by the City Loop train. Thank God for the front though, it remained intact and the driver was safe. However, this caused a huge ruckus in the place and we ended up being stuck there for about an hour and a half to two hours as they figured things out.

I was getting increasingly affected by these circumstances considering I actually made the effort to be on time today. To make things worse, I got confused with Metro's arrangement for a replacement. Due to that mess, I somehow ended up talking with one of the Metro attendings who was standing by the boom gate. She probably noticed my tired and unamused expression and very sincerely expressed an "I'm sorry for any inconvenience this caused you this morning".

The sincerity of her apology immediately softened my heart and really moved me, especially considering that it was in absolutely no way her fault, or even Metro's for whom she was apologizing on behalf of. In the face of poor circumstances, I've learnt that the kindness of a stranger can really make such a difference. Thank you dear lady, for shedding light on me today. :)

Furthermore, as I was finally on my way to Franga, I thought about that verse I just read yesterday, battling with God about it, close to Instagram-ing something about it.. when I realized I should keep working on it with Him first before making any sort of declaration on social media. As I walked out of that train station, I saw this lady with the most eccentric hairstyle I have ever seen in real life - an afro that was standing straight with this gaping cavity in the middle.. it looked like a huge, frizzy molar. I couldn't help but smile as I saw that, and with surrender in my heart, I thought, "Okay fine God, You win. :) "

I then actively made a choice to make today a better day, that a crappy morning does not have to mean a crappy day.

I ended up in theatre and bumping into the fifth year there just as I was leaving (from lack of direction since I was so late), who invited me in to surgery. I got to watch two interesting surgeries today and then end at noon too. :)

At this point, I considered making a trip down to the beach at Franga to just relax for a bit (because face it, the beach ALWAYS makes things better) and then maybe get some shopping done before heading home. I even considered taking the bus to Mornington, simply because that has been something on my bucket list to do while still on placement at Frankston. I pondered this thought aloud in a room with some friends, and one friend was keen to go on a spontaneous beach adventure too.

We ended up driving a short distance to Mt Eliza and just enjoying this incredibly beautiful and relatively secluded beach. The sound of the waves and the amazing feeling of sand and sea between my toes.. I loved it. I really do love the sea so much. :)

Not only that, I was inspired today too to really push through till finals, doubling, tripling my effort in my studies right now till I cross the finish line for this year. My blessings didn't even end there, for after that soothing time on the beach, I got to have one hour of studying that was more productive than most other times I have tried to sit down and study.

AND, God gave me two rainbows to be amazed by today, and a reminder of the recent promise He made over my life regarding fruitfulness.

Also, I later realized what a blessing in disguise not having my phone to use today was. For the first time in a long time, I was completely free, away from constantly checking social media in boredom, away from various group whatsapps, away from all connections from the virtual world really. It was an amazing sense of freedom I had forgotten. My only bummer was that I couldn't take a picture of the beautiful view today, to keep and to share. Yet.. I'm glad now that I didn't. Some things are best kept just in my memories, and some thoughts better expressed in just words. There was something special about visiting this absolutely beautiful place and not having a picture to remember it by.. because that's what I always do- I whip out my camera before really taking it all in and lose my precious moment to a nice photograph.

Being without my phone taught me today to live in the moment and focus, for there will be time for reflection later on. Right now, it looks like probably a week or so before my other forms of communications are resumed - whatsapp, instagram, snapchat, speedy facebook message chat checks, even emails.. and while this would ordinarily be disastrous, God is showing me something He wants me to see in this time, and trust me, my perspective is being slowly changed by His grace.

I'm sorry if I miss your messages over the next few days, but I'll be here.. savouring this freedom. :)

...

So, thank You Papa, for giving me such a precious day in the end. Thank You for reminding me that I have friends I can count on for strength and moments of encouragement, and for challenging me to never let a bad circumstance or attitude ruin a whole day. Thank You for showing me what it means to have joy in You, and for pushing me to shine when so much of my stubborn human nature refused to. 

Thank You for believing that I can be better than who I am right now, and in every area of my life too.

Thank You for life, and.. for one of those days where it is so easy to express all my gratitude because of the enormous grace I have been shown.

Blessed,
Dice

No comments:

Post a Comment