Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Servolution

I met Jeanne* today in the hallway of the hospital. She was very skinny, and walked using a frame. She had tattoos all over, straggly hair and skin that made you immediately suspect illicit drug abuse. To be very honest, she was the kind of person I would have avoided if I was walking alone in the middle of the night.

She asked me and my friend for help to look for a specific doctor in the hospital today.

We helped her find reception and along the way she started to share with me about her previous infection, how yucky it all made her feel. I dropped the lollipop I got from getting my flu shot in the hospital as we talked, and she joked that it was now hers, so I gave it to her and insisted that it was a gift. I loved seeing her so happy from receiving such a small present. Anyways, her case was relatively rare, so I asked if I could have a few moments to interview her later as I really needed to be interviewing new patients today. She agreed, and after a slight disagreement with the reception because they couldn't assist her, we sat down.

She told me her life story, about how she fell sick and no one could explain why, and elaborated on other troubles that she has had since. She was in ICU for many days at that time too, as her condition was a life-threatening one.

At one point, she saw a friend in the distance and excused herself to chat with that friend. They later both approached me and it turned out that her friend was the hospital chaplain. Jeanne* started showing her friend the new Bible her relative got her, and these pamphlets, and talked about how great church was last week. I was amazed, and I just listened to their conversation, absolutely absorbed by it.

After her friend left, it was about time for her to leave. I then decided to tell her that I too was a Christian, and asked if she would like me to pray for her. She was very happy with my offer , so I held her hand on that seat and began to pray. As words came out of my mouth, Jeanne* was so moved that she began to sob. In the meantime, I am just praying my heart out and being so, so amazed, that God could use me to touch the life of another person with His love today. I reminded her of how precious she is in His eyes and how much He loves her, and she smiled this radiant smile, and thanked me for the beautiful prayer.

We parted ways soon after and I learnt a few powerful lessons today.

Firstly, I learnt to never judge people by what they appear to be on the outside. First impressions aren't always right, and had I ostracised her for the way she looked, I would have missed this opportunity to bless someone today. Everyone says that where I am is such a dodgy place, drug addicts everywhere and people who are just strange.. but maybe people just need someone to understand, someone to love them despite the addiction, despite the smoke smell, despite whatever issues have labelled their lives. Cause when you look closely, people ARE beautiful. I know that now, after having learnt that over and over again.

Secondly, I am reminded of how hungry people are for the love of God, how people need so much to know that they are loved so immensely. And meeting Jeanne* today, I remembered that those who have been forgiven much, love much. She shared with me about how she always knew God existed, but as she lay in ICU, sick and dying, she encountered Him personally and became a believer from then on. She even told me, that were it not for Him, she would have been dead long ago.

Thirdly, I learnt that I really do have the power to affect a patient in hospital. No, I probably will not get the chance to pray for everyone and declare health over them, but I know that I carry light within me. I know that a smile goes a long way, and that a conversation with a lonely patient can make a huge difference in their lives. The longer I stay here, the more I learn that being a good doctor and a kind one, is of the utmost importance to patient welfare. I aspire to be the best doctor I can be for them. And, while I cannot help everyone, I know that I can make a difference to one. One at a time, and from my experience, kindness always sows new seeds that grow unexpectedly, and a chain reaction is bound to occur.

I thank God for giving me this job to do, and I pray I can do it well.

As I sit here and type this, I remember the prayers I have said over and over again, prayers to allow me to bring peace to people, to speak against sickness and watch it flee, prayers to make a difference. Wow. God really honours every prayer you make, doesn't He? And this is just the beginning!! Watch out for stories to come about cancers being gone or pain disappearing, because my God is a limitless God. :)

I am so, so blessed today. :) I pray you were blessed by my story too!

* Name has been changed to protect patient confidentiality. 

Love as always,
Dice

No comments:

Post a Comment