Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Late Night Thoughts

Today, a good friend of mine told me that I have always been strong, and to keep being strong.

Strength was never really a first line word I would use to describe myself. After hearing that, I inevitably reflected a bit more on my life and past circumstances. I thought of the recent struggles that were laid out before me.

At first, I chose to hide a lot of what I was dealing with from the people close to me. It wasn't necessary, I thought, for them to know. I soon realized that this has always been how I dealt with the situations that worried me most.

However, after talking with several people, I'm beginning to see what my friend meant, and how God can use this for good. Maybe.. sharing my story will do others good. Maybe.. a testimony of overcoming will inspire others to hope. Just maybe.. talking about myself doesn't have to mean I'm bragging, but can rather present as an invitation to press on and move mountains, because if I can hang in there, then they can too.

So, here's my two cents about hardships that I've learnt along the way. They aren't curses, they're gifts. Too often people start blaming God when they come along simply because well, it's uncomfortable and abnormal. I know, because I am guilty of it too. If only we could see every time we endured, that hardships were all along nothing more than precursors to greater things, like patience, strength, love and faith. It's but a premature bigger gift. I can vouch for this, that I would not be who I am today had I not been given the opportunities to endure, grow and overcome. With each day lies a new chance to become a better person.

One thing I love telling people is this - that at any point, God can change my circumstances around. The fact that I'm still here despite my faith and my prayers is because there's still something I need to learn or do.

Isn't it almost exciting then? He brings forth a new challenge just like a father teaching his child to ride a bicycle, by taking off the training wheels when the time is right. Or, like the mama bird that nudges her babies off the nest when she believes they will finally fly.

Hopeful,
Dice

No comments:

Post a Comment