Friday, May 3, 2013

Thay

I met Thay* yesterday, based on the recommendation from one of my superior doctors that she would be a good person to interview and learn about.

Thay has cancer that has spread to the base of her brain.

I haven't talked with many cancer patients over the past few months that I have been here. So when I sat down to talk to her, I could tell, that it was different than talking to other patients. Patients who fight with cancer are doing exactly that.. they're fighting. With Thay, even as I spoke to her, I could tell that her will to fight was there, just that it was a bit washed down and roughened by the length of the battle that she has endured thus far.

Our conversation about her illness got swiftly manoeuvred by her, as patients often do to me, into talking about our personal lives, how we both ended up to where we are today. We talked about family, life, Australia, home, the hospital.. to a point where it wasn't about what we were saying anymore, but rather that we were just spending time with each other.

After all, that was all that she wanted in that moment.

I don't know what it is exactly that I wanted to tell you about Thay. I don't have anything in particular that I wanted to share.

I just wanted you to know, that she is still fighting. She is still fighting for her family, for her health and for her life. And that matters so much.

And because Thay can find the strength to fight on even when she is often too weak to get out of her bed, I know I can find the strength to keep living life as optimistically as possible.

And because she can, I know that you can too. No matter what circumstance that you are facing right now, the human will is a powerful thing. You are tougher than you know. You can make it, and you will. :) I believe in you.

Love,
Dice

No comments:

Post a Comment